Thursday 10 September 2015

Procrastination is like a credit card: it's a lot of fun until you get the bill.


I have a bias for action: to get things done. When I was younger I used to get really frustrated when the boss failed to do anything about the issues that I brought to his attention. With experience and increasing wisdom I now appreciate that sometimes doing nothing, is exactly the right thing to do. However, only sometimes!


A TALE OF TWO DAUGHTERS

I have two daughters, both very bright and clever and both destined for greatness by virtue of their drive, determination and hard work. However one will plan things well in advance and the other will be a whirlwind of activity at the last minute. I cannot fathom how siblings can be so different!

MY APPROACH

I generally am aware of things in the long and medium term and think about them. I start planning a few months or weeks ahead, depending on the activity, but generally make the final decision quite late. I like to keep my options open!

For big competition events like rowing or triathlon the training plan may be devised months in advance, but the actual weekly sessions vary according to weather and circumstance and the event on the day is when I make final choices bases on bike options, shoe options, clothing options etc.

My approach in projects and change is much the same. Have a good idea of the big picture, be firm but flexible about the method of getting there, and keep options open for opportunities or to accommodate last minute changes.

I seldom use precise Gantt charts because I am more interested in the outcome (product, deliverable or decision) than the process and may switch between a variety of means to get there according to circumstance (people and events). I feel being too focussed on the charts, graphs, and project periphery can distract from what you are actually trying to achieve.

However at the same time I like to focus on clear goals, milestones, performance rather than procrastinate indecisively, with no discernible output or outcome for my efforts.

ONLY FOOLS RUSH IN

It may be true that only fools rush in, but to never venture is to miss out on learning, opportunity and innovation and by starting early there is plenty of time to add or amend your approach according to circumstance (people and events).

Leaving things really late means an issue becomes a drama and a drama becomes a crisis and by then your options and opportunities have expired and what may have been a great opportunity to co-create change, and help communication, collaboration and co-ordination has now passed and you find yourself with an ultimatum.

This is not good.

WHY DO PEOPLE PROCRASTINATE

There is an old “Yes Minister” saying that success comes from avoiding answering a question until the issue is no longer relevant.

I fear procrastination is not because people don’t know the answer, but because they don’t want to take responsibility for the task, the decision, the output or the outcome. I can see that this may create a sense of stability (nothing rocks the boat) but I worry that it creates stagnation.

WHAT IS THE SOLUTION

For my daughters I hope that the ability to focus and plan does not crowd out the opportunity to be spontaneous, creative and have fun. For the other I wish that having an eye toward their goal, ambition, or dreams will persuade them to set themselves some milestones to mark the progress toward what-ever makes them happy.

THE AUTHOR

Tim Rogers is an experienced Project and Change Leader. He is founder of www.ciChange.org and curator for www.TEDxStHelier.Com . Past roles have included Programme Manager for the commercialization of Ports of Jersey, Operations Change & Sales Support for RBSI/NatWest, and Project Manager for the Incorporation of Jersey Post. He is also Commonwealth Triathlete and World Championships Rower with a passion for teaching and learning and is a Tutor/Mentor on the Chartered Management Institute courses. He is a Chartered Member of the British Computer Society, has an MBA (Management Consultancy) and is both a PRINCE2 and Change Management Practitioner.

Tim HJ Rogers
PRINCE2 - MBA (Consultancy) - APMG Change Practitioner
www.timhjrogers.com | Twitter @timhjrogers | Skype @timhjrogers | Mobile: 07797762051
Curator TEDxStHelier www.TEDxStHelier.com
Founder ciChange www.ciChange.org


No comments:

Post a Comment

CULTURE OR DATA – WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT?

CULTURE OR DATA – WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT? In a previous posting I noted that the book The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improb...