Friday 23 November 2012

Do you prioritise personality or performance?


This will be controversial but is designed to prompt some discussion, so here goes..

Lord (Alan) Sugar said in The Apprentice  (22-Nov-12)  “..it would be a mistake to bring someone into the boardroom because of personality rather than performance..” If you are managing change in your organisation do you prioritise personality or performance?

When recruiting what priority do you put to relevant qualifications and experience compared to amenability? If I’m going under the knife I am prepared to trade a sunny personality for some surgical skill.  I am not sure when it would be wise to prioritise style over substance. Comedy springs to mind, because is more about connection than fact.

I think success comes from knowledge and experience, seeing the big picture as well as the small detail, and having honesty and integrity. Together these offer credibility and are the building blocks of trust which should be earned from performance rather than presentation.

Attitude is important. Formula 1 Frank Williams, and Apple’s Steve Jobs are examples, but attitude isn’t always a breeze to work with. How much do we sacrifice if we are charmed by personality?



There are some circumstances where it may be more important to be right, than liked. Chamberlin came back re-assured by Hitler, but it took Churchill’s less compromising approach to safeguard the country. Interestingly Churchill was accommodating of talent rather than flattery. Whilst he didn’t like Montgomery he had a deep respect for his intellect and integrity, although their banter suggested personal tensions. Montgomery said I don’t drink and I don’t smoke and I am 100% fit. Churchill replied I do drink and I do smoke and I am 200% fit!

If we don’t prioritise qualifications and experience we may end up with Prisons, Hospitals and Children’s Homes being run by celebrities, and we now know where that can lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CULTURE OR DATA – WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT?

CULTURE OR DATA – WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT? In a previous posting I noted that the book The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improb...